Roof terrace

At this stage of the project it seems like a luxury to create a roof terrace, but a door leading out of the third bedroom leads to a terrace that goes over the garage, with a small wall surrounding it. We were waiting to get started on the central heating, and so most other things had come to a standstill until this was completed. We saw the potential in this and imagined sipping a G&T whilst watching the sun go down on the passing ships, up and down the Ouse- in this state it needed a fair bit of imagination to see all of this. The roof was unsafe as one entire side was rotten and felt very springy underfoot. We wanted a roof that was durable and could be walked on and generally used as an extension to our yet to be created garden. We decided on a rubber roof to ensure the area was totally waterproof. Rubber it Roofs of Chesterfield took the old roof covering off, and discovered this was the only part that was ruined- where water had held and eventually soaked through over many wet winters. The joist in this area was replaced.

The rubber roof was placed over new board, which sat on the existing roof boards- which were amazingly in tact.

The rubber roof surface was placed over this to make the roof completely water tight.

So the roof is now repaired and watertight. The rubber could actually be planted up with a layer of topsoil and would hold. While I like a green roof, I didn’t fancy lugging the lawnmower upstairs so we considered our options to make the roof suitable for heavy use, such as tables, chairs, plants, foot traffic. We opted for rubber roof tiles with a fake grass covering for better wear and to make this look much more garden-like. A huge pile of roof tiles arrived, a mild struggle to get them off the pallet truck and a couple of hundred trips up and down the stairs to get the tiles to the roof terrace in the making- I was definitely right about not wanting to carry the lawn mower up here.

The walls were patched up by Peter the Plasterer. Patches of render had fallen off over the years. Frankie and I then set about painting the walls to freshen them up a little. We wanted a mellow colour so went for Plymouth grey. Thankfully 2 coats were enough- painting very bumpy render is no fun. The gable end wall was painted to match- with the use of a brush taped to a long pole, and a bit of bravery from me- I’m not keen on heights.

These tiles have drainage gaps underneath so they don’t hold water, and need to be laid with the nap going in the right direction- once you have mastered the nap, they just peg together at each side. Cuts are fairly easy with a super sharp Stanley knife.

Once they were all in place, we decided on a bit of planting to stop this happening…

We also wanted to ensure next door’s garden wasn’t overlooked by our terrace. We bought a few bamboos- as a screen, but also because we needed something fairly flexible as it gets pretty windy up there at times. We also put grasses around the perimeter and a few chrysanthemums for colour, although these are sure to be blown over and next year I’ll probably got for something that can sway in the wind and give us a bit of colour at the same time.

The finished article-n we had about a day of summer left to enjoy this once it was finished…

The grasses will mature- or blow away! The marks on the tiles from storage will fade and this will be our look out post for many years.

Ross Farm

I decided to mark the long journey that moving from North Wales to the East Riding of Yorkshire turned out to be, by starting my blog. A year ago this week we finally got an offer on our 300+ year old cottage in rural North Wales and got our offer accepted on a gorgeous, if a little under the weather, Georgian farmhouse. We moved in and started work some seven months later… relieved that the house buying and selling nightmare was finally over.